Friday, November 7, 2008

Dean Koontz and Spiritual Quests

Every time I read a Dean Koontz novel, I'm surprised at how much I enjoy it. I've never been one for horror, I don't read that type of book or ever watch movies like that. But his books always include so much spiritual searching, contemplation, and at times insight that I can't help but be fascinated.
Many deal with the depravity and insanity of human behavior, every book involves a wonderful and gentle man, the epitome of kindness, and a woman who is noble and full of love. They are coupled as so in love that neither can imagine breaking the bond because who breaks their own life and the perfection of unity in their wedded love? They always step up in self-sacrifice to deal with whatever horror (and this man can come up with truly horrible horrors) threatens.
I just finished one that was truly awful called Hideaway, it explores the nature of evil in humans and its source - no 'answers' really but his characters don't have the whole answer any more than we do now. Koontz as an author seems to think about this a lot, wondering why, WHY would anyone be like that?
The other one I just read is The Taking, an apocalyptic story that was really very good. Totally wonderful. Freaky, creepy, spiritual, triumph of God over all. I think what I like about him is that he's a man who obviously spends much time contemplating the spiritual aspect of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment