Thursday, April 3, 2008

YHWH the true acronym?

Because Passover is coming, I was researching to see how I can celebrate it, what to tell the littles, and to find out all the spiritual implications of the physical. I went to the Heart of Wisdom website about Passover and was surprised to read this:

During Bible times, messages were commonly written with the first letter of each word. An example in English: UPS, stands for United Parcel Service. The phrase Jesus of Nazareth and King of the Jews was written in three languages on a sign above Jesus as He hung on the cross (John 19:19). The Hebrew initials for Jesus of Nazareth and King of the Jews was YHWH. That is why the priest asked Pilate to change the writing.


I don't know Hebrew but I'm surprised. If this is true, is it common knowledge? Guess I'll have to learn Hebrew now to check this out. It's not what I remember seeing in pictures of the cross.

1 comment:

  1. That is impossible...

    The sign read...

    Yeshua HaNotzri Melech Hayehudim

    You would get the letters...

    YHMH

    ReplyDelete